The Wayne State University Police Department was formed in 1966 and provides a full range of professional police services to both the main and medical center campuses as well as the surrounding neighborhoods. Each Officer has at least a bachelor's degree and many have advanced degrees. All Wayne State University Police Officers are fully licensed through the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). All officers are sworn Peace Officers commissioned under State law and each officer has also been commissioned as a Detroit Police Officer. Officers are empowered to enforce all federal and state laws as well as the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code and city of Detroit Ordinances, both on and off the campus. As sworn police officers, they are authorized to investigate, arrest or take any other necessary action to address any criminal or other public infraction in the vicinity of the WSU campus. WSU Police Officers work very closely with the Detroit Police Department, Wayne County Sheriff’s Department and the Michigan State Police.
The Wayne State University Police Department is committed to providing our students, staff, faculty, visitors and guests with prompt, courteous and professional police services. While we provide a committed effort to ensure your safety, we can not promise you total isolation from crime. Personal safety and crime prevention efforts are the responsibility of the entire Wayne State University community and it is important that everyone takes responsibility for the safety of their person and property. The key to preventing crime is awareness, which can be best accomplished through education.
- Currently no news
- News Archive
Calendar of Events
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- R.A.D. Keychain Defense Options
- August 15 2015 at 10:00 AMPolice Department (Public Safety)The R.A.D. Keychain Defense Options is a 5hr program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women using a kubaton. The R.A.D. Basic Physical Defense is a prerequiste. 8/15 - 10am-3pm
- R.A.D. Basic Physical Defense
- September 14 2015 at 5:30 PMPolice Department (Public Safety)The Rape Aggression Defense system is a 13hr program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. The R.A.D. System is a comprehensive course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on self defense. The R.A.D. program is taught nationwide and its widespread acceptance is primarily due to the ease, simplicity and effectiveness of R.A.D. tactics, solid research, legal defensibility and unique teaching methodology. 9/14, 9/15, 9/16 - 5:30-8:30pm 9/17 - 5:30-9:30pm
- R. A. D. Weapons Defense Options
- September 19 2015 at 10:00 AMPolice Department (Public Safety)The R.A.D. Weapons Defense Options is an 8hr program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women when faced with an attacker using a firearm or edged weapon. The R.A.D. Basic Physical Defense is a prerequiste. 9/19 - 10am-6pm
- More Events